Bath’s Central Library is currently celebrating 25 years of being in the Podium, and to mark the occasion has been delving back into its archive of photographs.
There is a display for library users to enjoy to the left of the main entrance as you walk into the facility.
From 1924 until 1960 Bath Library expanded to occupy the ground floor of the Victoria Art Gallery.
Space was very tight and the Children’s Library was in the basement.
Several proposals for new Library accommodation were made – including converting the Technical College building at the north side of the Guildhall and even the Assembly Rooms.
In 1960 severe flooding in Bath caused an inundation of the storage spaces under Newmarket Row behind the Colonnades.
Three thousand volumes of reference stock and bound music volumes were lost.
In 1964, the City Council acquired the property of the BRSLI following its closure in 1959.
The Reference Library and Reading Room were moved to 18 Queen Square, separating the Library departments.
In 1990, the Podium was constructed in Northgate Street, and the new Bath Central Library was opened on the top floor – reuniting the Lending and Reference libraries on one site.
In 2004-5 Bath Central Library underwent a major refurbishment. Library services were provided by a temporary library in the Exhibition Rooms for the duration. Staff were housed in any space available.