Venues across Bath and North East Somerset will open up their doors this month for Heritage Open Days (9-18 September).
The nationwide celebration of history and culture is a chance to see hidden places and try out new experiences – all for free.
Councillor Kevin Guy, Leader of Bath & North East Somerset Council, said: “Heritage Open Days are a great opportunity to explore the history and heritage on your doorstep, and discover new places.
There’s something for everyone, from swimming in the newly-restored Cleveland Pools, to seeing Victorian spa equipment at the Local History Centre in Lansdown, enjoying a gala afternoon in Sydney Gardens, exploring the Roman Baths’ new Clore Learning Centre, or taking a theatre walk around Keynsham. Check the Heritage Open Days website for opening times and booking details.”
There are events taking place across the area, with something for all ages and interests:
- Explore the weird and wonderful objects at the Local History Centre – Lansdown, from Victoria spa equipment to Georgian furniture
- Go for a swim at the newly restored Cleveland Pools, explore the history of the site and take part in a children’s activity trail
- Enjoy an afternoon of family fun, music, colour and spectacle to celebrate the opening of the Sydney Gardens Restoration Project
- Join a tour of the recently opened Roman Baths Clore Learning Centre, with its exciting underground Investigation Zone
- Visit Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Recycling Centre at Ashmead Road, Keynsham, and find out more about the recycling process and vehicles
- Enjoy free entry to Prior Park Landscape Garden, a 18th-century garden perched on a hillside overlooking Bath with views across the city
- Take a brand-new theatre walk around Keynsham by award-winning theatre company Show of Strength, which will tell the town’s story like never before
- Visit Midsomer Norton Pop-Up Museum and Heritage Hub, where you can discover the region’s mining heritage, and try your hand at letterpress printing and corn crafting
Advance booking is essential for some venues. Please check the Heritage Open Days website for opening dates and times. Enter ‘Somerset’ to get you into our local events!