Stand by for four months of disruption in York Street – starting on January 6th – for what B&NES describes as ‘essential works to improve and maintain’ the city road and ‘complement the opening of Bath’s new state-of-the-art World Heritage Centre and Clore Learning Centre.’
The works between Stall Street and Kingston Parade are expected to last 16 weeks and will =- says B&NES – support the opening of the centre, as well as improve the public realm in the long term.
No mention of the fact that the surface needs waterproofing to stop rain seeping into the roman remains beneath?
Phase one of the works in Swallow Street was completed earlier this year but paused until January, following feedback from traders, to minimise the impact on local businesses in the busy summer and Christmas periods.
The area will be resurfaced in a high-quality natural stone, in keeping with the historic streetscape, and the street will be raised to create a level surface throughout allowing for a smooth transition throughout these spaces.
The council is notifying residents and businesses that from January 6, access to York Street will be restricted to emergency and site vehicles only for the duration of the works.
A pedestrian diversion will be in place between York Street and Stall Street and York Street and Abbey Street with diversion routes clearly signposted.
The works will be carried out by the council’s contractor, Volker Highways. Works will take place between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday, with the site operational from 7am to 7pm.
Businesses between Terrace Walk and Kingston Parade who have pavement licenses will not be able to place furniture on York Street from January 1 due to the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) for social distancing coming to an end on December 31. A separate Temporary Traffic Regulation Order starts on January 6 to enable the works.
The council last week triggered a public inquiry for its proposed traffic regulation order for anti-terrorism purposes in York Street as part of the city centre security scheme, despite work to mitigate concerns. It is anticipated the inquiry will be held in spring 2022. If the inquiry finds in favour of the council, businesses will be able to place furniture back in the street without applying for another license.
Councillor Richard Samuel, Deputy Leader and cabinet member for Economic Development & Resources, said: “These works are essential to the long-term maintenance of York Street and are an important part of enabling the development of the World Heritage Centre and Roman Baths Clore Learning Centre, which will bring Bath’s fascinating history to life for many generations to come.
“We apologise for the disruption caused while the public realm improvements are carried out, which in the long term will encourage footfall and increase local trade.”
Find out more about the public realm improvement project here
The Abbey Footprint Project team will also be on-site between January 10 and 21, undertaking planned works within the Great Drain.
The World Heritage Centre being created by Bath & North East Somerset Council aims to inspire local people and those from further afield to explore what the City of Bath’s World Heritage Site has to offer.
The Roman Baths’ Clore Learning Centre will provide enhanced learning facilities for school visits and community groups, and the opportunity to explore parts of the Roman Baths that have never been opened to regular public access before. Both centres are due to open in Spring 2022.
Find out more about the opening of the World Heritage Centre and Clore Learning Centre at https://www.romanbaths.co.uk/archway-project