A chance for people to visit Bath’s historic Jewish burial ground in Combe Down, with an open day planned for July 18th.
The caretaker’s cottage, built around 1810, that stands at the entrance to the site is currently being restored with traditional materials and will eventually become a small information centre about the lives of the Jewish community in Bath in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The walls are being lime plastered, the ceiling restored, and the floor is to have ‘blue lias’ slabs laid in the coming months. It is hoped that the work in progress will be viewable on the day.
The cemetery which was in use between 1812 and 1941. No burials take place there now and the site is normally not accessible, but the voluntary group that runs it organise several Open Days during the summer months.
The next openings are planned for 18 July and 12 Sept. The site will be open from 11am to 4pm.
Admittance to the open day is free. Assistance dogs only are permitted. Wheelchair and buggy access is difficult as there are steps and some uneven ground.
The burial ground is located at 1 Greendown Lane, Combe Down, BA2 5DD (next to the roundabout at the entrance to the Mulberry Park estate).
Free parking on Bradford Rd near Forester and Flower pub. Bath bus no 2 from the railway station brings you there.