A Museum of Ballooning and an outdoor amphitheatre are just two of the ideas put forward by Dr Victoria Holt to help create something new for Bathonians AND tourists.
Dr Holt – who describes herself as a Data Architect and who lives in the city – was reacting to an interview l did with the B&NES cabinet member for heritage and culture, Cllr Paul Crossley.
He said that he thought the current pandemic would mean Bath would come out of these dark times competing with other UK tourist cities for customers.
He thought tourism would come from the home market or Europe as international travel by air would take years to recover.
Dr Holt sent me an email in which she says:
‘I read your news article and never really thought about Bath competing for tourists with other cities. To get more visitors and make Bath have an enhanced set of things to do for its own residents, who need places to chill during this pandemic and the future, there are a few things I think could be done.
For a start, we have two historic buildings requiring renovation – the Cornmarket and cattle market and the former King Edward’s School in Broad Street.
Utilising the assets we have above:
- Convert Weston Island to a museum island with a river taxi (we need more river usage)
- Move the Fashion Museum
- Create an amazing large world-class library
- Create a Medical Museum
- Create a History of Balloons Museum
- Create a museum for mosaic floors
- Create walking industrial and historic trails around Bath
- Open the East Gate and return the area to a historic setting and have plaques to mark the other 3 medieval gates
- Create more walking and cycling routes
- Create a replicate of the lost Ralph Allen Monument
- Create a winter sports venue at the University of Bath
- Have many trim trails around the city
- Have many types of fountains to view, paddle in water flows
- Renovate and reuse the island club on Bog Island – it could be the start of a Bath underground tour.
- Build an observatory and outside space park
- Add a footpath and cycle path around Lansdown lane to get to the racecourse.
- Build an outside amphitheatre.
Plenty of ideas there. What do othere people think?