Museums across Bath & North East Somerset will host an exciting programme of special events and activities over October half-term for Museums Week (Saturday 26 October-Sunday 3 November 2019).
Organised by Bath & North East Somerset Council, Museums Week celebrates the unique collections and activities in our local museums. All activities are free for residents with a Discovery Card.
Councillor Paul Crossley, cabinet member for Community Services at Bath & North East Somerset Council, said: “Museums Week is a great opportunity for local people to explore our fantastic museums and have a go at creative activities – from taking infrared photos, to making mosaics, searching for fossils, and watching vintage films. We hope that many residents will enjoy taking part in the events and activities for free with a Discovery Card.”
Highlights of the week include:
- Visit the Mayor’s Parlour and see 800 years of history, including the city’s Royal Charters, gold and silver collection, ceremonial maces, sword and robes
- Create a mosaic using a mix of pictures and colours in ‘Mosaic Mix Up’ at the Roman Baths
- Listen to stories of East Asian monsters and use them as inspiration to create monstrous masks at the Museum of East Asian Art
- Make a bookmark or beaded necklace in the style of Jane Austen at No.1 Royal Crescent
- Use a special infrared camera to take a unique photograph of yourself at the Herschel Museum of Astronomy
- Investigate objects found in Batheaston and beyond, make a miniature Iron Age roundhouse and handle objects from Victorian times
- Enjoy free entry to the garden at the American Museum and Gardens, one of the South West’s newest and most unique gardens with outstanding views
- Search for patterns from nature in the exhibits at the Fashion Museum
- Create Plasticine pictures, marvellous masks, or an abstract collage at the Victoria Art Gallery
- Watch vintage films about travel and leisure in the 40s and 50s at the Museum of Bath at Work
- Meet outside Radstock Museum for a 15-minute walk to a nearby coal spoil heap to search for fossils. Bring a small hammer and a bag to collect your finds!
Discovery Cards are simple to get and allow local people to visit Council attractions for free and enjoy a range of discounts at other outlets, shops and cafés.
They are available to Bath & North East Somerset residents at no cost, from any of the following locations:
- Bath One Stop Shop
- The Fashion Museum
- The Roman Baths
- Victoria Art Gallery
- Keynsham Library & Information Service
- Midsomer Norton Library & Information Service
Applicants must bring proof of ID such as a passport or photocard driving licence, and proof of residence such as a recent Council Tax or utility bill. For information about Discovery Cards visit www.bathnes.gov.uk/discoverycard.
Advance booking is required for some Museums Week events. For full event listings please visit www.bathmuseumsweek.co.uk.