Into safe keeping – as part of the city’s history and heritage. Theatre posters and letters found under the floorboards at the former Palace of Varieties in Bath’s Saw Close are handed over to Colin Johnston – Principal Archivist at Bath Record Office.
The site is being re-developed as part of a multi-million-pound programme to build a casino, hotel and restaurants.
The facade of the Grade 2 listed Palace Theatre of Varieties is to be incorporated into the scheme.
The building started life as the Pavilion Music Hall when it was opened in 1886. It changed its name to the Lyric – and then to the Palace – before being converted into the Regency Ballroom in 1955. It was later a bingo club from 1968 until its closure.
There is an article elsewhere in the Virtual Museum archives about the discovery of the posters and letters.