Hundreds of children and grown-ups have been enjoying family fun at Bath & North East Somerset Council’s heritage attractions this summer – but there’s a still a lot more on offer!
Over the last fortnight, more than 750 people have taken part in craft and activity sessions at the Council-run attractions – and YOU can join in too; right up to Friday 30 August. There are fun opportunities to learn more about local history at the Roman Baths, create Laura Ashley-inspired designs at the Fashion Museum, and let the children channel their energy into art at the Victoria Art Gallery.
Councillor Ben Stevens (Lib-Dem, Widcombe), Cabinet Member for Sustainable Development, said: “This summer Bath & North East Somerset Council is putting on more fun family activities than ever before! We welcome all families to come along to our heritage attractions and join in with the events taking place right throughout the summer holidays – particularly those fun things to do where you can keep the kids entertained for free.”
Roman Baths family drop-in activities (10am-1pm & 2pm-4pm):
- Monday 5 August: Romans versus Celts – investigate the differences and similarities between the Romans and Celts
- Monday 12 August: Invasion – discover more about the Roman army’s invasion of Britain
- Monday 19 August: Cook it up! – investigate what the Romans ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Monday 26 August: What’s in a name? – make a Roman name badge.
Fashion Museum family drop-in activities involving printing techniques inspired by the Laura Ashley designs on display (10.30am-12.30pm & 1.30pm-3.30pm):
- Tuesday 6 August: Flower power
- Tuesday 13 August: Hedgerow hunt
- Tuesday 20 August: Patchwork pick.
NEW Victoria Art Gallery Art Club activities for children aged 3-5 years old (including squash and biscuits) £4 per child – book on 01225 477233:
- Thursday 15 August, 10.30-11.30am: Sun, sand and sea – enjoy making fishy underwater scenes
- Thursday 22 August, 10.30-11.30am: Buses and cars – create art from toy buses and cars.
Victoria Art Gallery Art Club activities (10.30am-12noon & 1.30pm-3pm; for 5-11 year olds) £4 per child – book on 01225 477233:
- Friday 2 August: Cats and dogs – add some animal magic to your art
- Friday 9 August: Picture postcard – create holiday picture postcards to send or keep
- Friday 16 August: Fabulous flowers, beautiful bugs – create fascinating floral images and bizarre bug worlds
- Friday 23 August: Architecture as art – build a cityscape using mixed media
- Friday 30 August: Food glorious food – cook-up a special still life painting.
Admission to Bath & North East Somerset Council’s family drop-in events at the Roman Baths and Fashion Museum is free to local residents on production of a Discovery Card. Normal entry prices apply to everyone else. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
Residents can apply for a Discovery Card by taking along two forms of ID to the following Council buildings: the Roman Baths; Riverside in Keynsham; The Hollies in Midsomer Norton and also the Discovery Card point in the One Stop Shop on Manvers Street, Bath.
For more details of heritage events including listings, the online leaflet and website links for the Roman Baths, Fashion Museum and Victoria Art Gallery, visitwww.bathnes.gov.uk/heritageevents or pick up a leaflet in your local library.