Christmas crafts and stories are part of the festive fun on offer for people of all ages at libraries across Bath and North East Somerset as part of the seasonal calendar.
There will be a Lego Lab for free creative play, Christmas crafts and stories and another chance to enjoy the dedicated sensory space at Bath Central Library.
A new Christmas chalet outside the Guildhall during Bath Christmas Market on December 5 and 6 will bring library services to the community and an opportunity to enjoy a spot of crafting.
The mobile library will also offer the same when it visits New Bond St on November 28 and December 5.
There is also lots to get in the festive spirit with online in the virtual library, including the Colin the Christmas Corgi platform game.
Residents can also help someone else to have a happier Christmas by donating to the Gift A Book campaign. New or very good condition books in any genre are welcomed and will be gifted to people in the community who might not otherwise have a Christmas present.
Councillor Dine Romero, cabinet member for Children and Young People, and Communities, said: “As we enter the festive season it’s great to be able to provide lots of exciting events at our three libraries for families and children to come along and enjoy. You can join the fun online as well on our blog. I’m also delighted that we’ll be out and about bringing the library to the community.
“We know that the busy nature of the run-up to Christmas can be overwhelming for people with disabilities or sensory needs, which is why we’ve reopened the dedicated sensory space at Bath Central Library. There’s also an opportunity for people who would benefit from a quieter experience of Bath Christmas Market to join the residents’ evening on Wednesday.”
The Bath Christmas Market preview evening is on November 23 from 5pm to 7pm and offers residents a chance to explore the fabulous festive gifts and wonderful food and drink on offer.
The sensory space was trialled in the October half term holidays and is now open for the Christmas season. It is fitted with sensory lighting and toys, a giant beanbag, comfy rug and cushions and a black out tent and offers a place to take a sensory break.
The full list of library events is as follows:
- Lego Lab: Bath Central Library, 10am to 4pm, Monday to Saturday. Drop-in event.
- Sensory Space: Bath Central Library during library opening hours. Tickets should be booked in advance here
- Christmas Chalet: outside of Bath’s Guildhall, 10am to 7pm, December 5 and 6. Find out about library services, join the library, crafting, gifting.
- Christmas Mobile: New Bond Street, November 28 and December 5, 10am to 5pm. Find out about library services, join the library, crafting, gifting
- Gift a book: Bath, Keynsham, Midsomer Norton or the Welfare, Housing and Support service in Bath until December 3. Book donations in good ‘giftable’ condition can be dropped to any of these locations during opening hours.
- Virtual library and Colin the Christmas Corgi platform game: throughout December at https://bathneslibraries.wordpress.com/
- Christmas crafts and Christmas storytimes: Bath, Keynsham and Midsomer Norton libraries throughout the Christmas period. Further details here
Find out what’s on at Bath Christmas Market this year.