Be aware – if you are driving through Bath’s Royal Victoria Park – that a new 10mph zone has been introduced and the road resurfaced to improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
Two large stretches of the private road which had deteriorated badly were resurfaced last week by Bath & North East Somerset Council and the road is once again fully open.
The council has also introduced a 10mph speed limit in the park to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians with new signage advising this painted on the road.
People are reminded that the park remains open only for limited exercise and that people must follow public health guidelines including social distancing.
Councillor Joanna Wright, joint cabinet member for Transport Services, said: “Although none of us should be making unnecessary journeys during the Coronavirus pandemic, the new surfacing and lower speed limit at Royal Victoria Park will improve pedestrian and cyclist safety now and in the future. It’s even more important at the moment that we consider reducing road casualties and not placing added pressure on the NHS by reducing our driving speed.
“In normal circumstances, the park is a destination not only for people of all ages in Bath but for visitors from elsewhere in the region, so it’s important that we make it as safe as we can for people to enjoy on foot or by bike.”
Public health guidelines around visiting parks include:
- Don’t visit the park if you or a member of the same household have symptoms of Covid 19 – stay at home and self-isolate
- Retain a 2m/6ft distance from anyone outside of your household at all times
- Minimise the time you are in the park and only visit the park once a day alone or with members of your household
- Only use the park for a run, walk or cycle. You should not stop to picnic, sunbathe etc.
- Do not meet others, even friends or family. You can spread the virus even if you don’t have the symptoms
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Wash your hands as soon as you get home
Updates on all council services can be found at www.bathnes.gov.uk/coronavirus