People wishing to pay their respects can take part in one of the many events taking place across Bath & North East Somerset to commemorate Remembrance Day.
Councillor Eleanor Jackson, Chair of Bath & North East Somerset Council, said: “My father served on HMS Norfolk on the Arctic convoys in World War Two and I lay a personal wreath every year to remember those who perished at sea. It is not only very important that we come together to remember as a community those who sacrificed themselves to protect our freedom and democracy across the world, but also that we treasure those who survived, making sure we care for their needs and record their memories.”
Ceremonies and Services in Bath
Sunday 10 November
- The Royal British Legion Wreath Laying Ceremony – 11am at the City of Bath’s War Memorial, Royal Victoria Park (off Queen’s Parade Place). The Mayor of Bath (Councillor Gerry Curran) will lay the first wreath.
- St Bartholomew’s Church Remembrance Wreath Laying Ceremony – 11am at the Memorial Garden, Shaftesbury Road (opposite Co-op).
- Weston Ex-Servicemen’s Association Parade – 10.40am from Moravian Church to the War Memorial (junction of High Street & Weston Lane) for the Wreath Laying Ceremony at 11am, followed by services at the Moravian Church and Weston All Saints Church.
- The Royal British Legion Remembrance Sunday Parade – 2.30pm outside the Guildhall. March Past and Salute Taking followed by a civic procession to Bath Abbey for the Remembrance Service at 3pm.
Monday 11 November
- Bath & North East Somerset Council Bereavement Services – 10:45am at Haycombe Cemetery. Meet on the grassed area between the Cross of Sacrifice and the Blitz graves. Refreshments will be served in the Top Chapel after the service.
- The Royal British Legion – 11am in the Abbey Churchyard. Two minutes’ silence and a short service.
- Holy Trinity Church, Combe Down – 10am Remembrance Service followed by the Bath United Services Association’s Wreath Laying Ceremony at 11am at the War Memorial, Firs Field, Combe Down.
- War Memorial, Royal Victoria Park – 11am.
- Twerton Remembrance Wreath Laying Ceremony at 10.45am for 11am at the War Memorial, High Street, Twerton .
Ceremonies & Services in North East Somerset
Sunday 10 November
- Midsomer Norton Remembrance Day Parade and Service – parade leaves North Road/Radstock Road at 10.40am and marches towards War Memorial for two minutes’ silence and laying of wreaths. Parade continues to St John’s Church for the Remembrance Service at 11.30am before making its way back to the War Memorial in the High Street.
- Radstock War Memorial, Waterloo Road – 2pm, Remembrance Service and laying of wreaths.
- Peasedown St John Remembrance Service – 10.45am at St John’s Church. Further event at 6pm at Beacon Hall
- Royal British Legion, Keynsham – Parade starting at 8.45am from Ashton Way to St John the Baptist Church for the Remembrance Service, followed by parade to the memorial gates of Keynsham Park for wreath-laying at 10.15am. Parade continues back to Ashton Way.
- Saltford Remembrance Service and Parade – 9.30am parade to Saltford church. 10am-10.45am Remembrance Service. 10:45-11am parade to war memorial followed by two minutes’ silence.
- Paulton – 2.30pm parade from village car park through the High Street to war memorial for a service reading. 3pm service at Methodist Church.
- Westfield – 10.30am at Trinity Methodist Church (opposite Elm Tree Avenue) for church service, silence and prayers indoors.
Monday 11 November
- Radstock War Memorial service, Waterloo Road – 11am for prayers at the memorial
- Westfield – 11am at the memorial stone, Elm Tree Avenue, for two minutes’ silence and prayers