Bath Newseum has been talking to Cllr Martin Veal – the B&NES Cabinet member who holds the brief for Community Services – and that includes Bath’s Central Library.
As we now know the Council want to move it – in a more contemporary form – to two upper floors of its Manvers Street premises at Lewis House. The building’s better known as the One Stop Shop – already offering every service from planning enquiries to a police desk and access to the Curo Housing Group.
The idea’s to be ready to add the newly-shaped library to its facilities by the spring of 2018.
There will be less emphasis on books and more on on-screen information and – l think most important of all – it’s going to save B&NES £800,000 a year and contribute to the 49 million pounds the council has to cut from its budget over the next four years.
Cllr Veal says in his interview that they could have scrapped the service altogether but chose instead to find a ‘creative way forward’.
Until it gets the blessing of the full Council – this is only a proposal. They will vote on February 14th. They will not be alone at the Guildhall. Outside will be an organised demonstration by those who see the plans as a reduction in services with less books and staff.
There is currently a Save Bath Central Library petition on line at change.org and Facebook and Twitter campaigns underway. It is pointed out that Moorland Road, Paulton, Radstock, Weston and Saltford all stand to lose their libraries entirely.
Click below to listen to Cllr Veal’s take on the proposals and why he thinks the change has to happen.
Bath Central Library has been at the Podium for more than 25 years. Prior to that it had a fragmented history.
From 1924 until 1960 Bath Library had expanded to occupy the ground floor of the Victoria Art Gallery.
Then, several proposals for new Library accommodation were made – including converting the Technical College building at the north side of the Guildhall and even the Assembly Rooms.
In 1960 severe flooding in Bath caused an inundation of the storage spaces under Newmarket Row behind the Colonnades.
Three thousand volumes of reference stock and bound music volumes were lost.
In 1964, the City Council acquired the property of the BRSLI following its closure in 1959.
The Reference Library and Reading Room were moved to 18 Queen Square, separating the Library departments.
In 1990, the Podium was constructed in Northgate Street, and the new Bath Central Library was opened on the top floor – reuniting the Lending and Reference libraries on one site.
In 2004-5 Bath Central Library underwent a major refurbishment. Library services were provided by a temporary library in the Exhibition Rooms for the duration. Staff were housed in any space available.
Now another chapter in its history is about to be written.